After you have installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop in VirtualBox, the first thing that you will notice is that Ubuntu desktop does not occupy the whole VirtualBox window no matter how you resize the window. To solve this we need to install VirtualBox Guest Additions.
Once we install the VirtualBox Guest Additions we will have access to the following features in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa.
- Shared clipboards – able to do copy & paste from Host computer to Virtual Machine and vice versa.
- Shared folders – able to share files via a shared folder from Host computer to Virtual Machine and vice versa.
- Better video support – able to support higher resolution screens such as Full HD. Virtual Machine screen will resize automatically to the size of the VirtualBox window.
- Seamless windows – able to make Virtual Machine application windows to appear side-by-side with Host Machine application windows like it was part of the Host Machine.
- Time synchronization – better time synchronization with the host machine.
- Automated logins – able to do username and password passing from Host Machine to Virtual Machine.
- Generic host / guest communication channel – able to control and monitor guest execution.
To know more about Guest Additions, you can read VirtualBox’s documentation.
To install VirtualBox Guest Additions in Ubuntu follow the guide below.
Step-by-step instructions to install VirtualBox Guest Additions in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop
VirtualBox Guest Additions requires the
build-essential package to be first installed in Ubuntu.
To install the
build-essential package, open a terminal by typing
Then run the commands below.
sudo apt update
Enter your password when asked.Continue reading How to install VirtualBox Guest Additions in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop